We're now well into the season, which makes it a little easier to see what trends are real, and which are make believe. It's a little harder finding players that might have a huge impact on your roster. At this stage of the season, we need bye-week replacements, not superstars. If you can get both, fantastic. My advice this week is, aim small, miss small.
As I've written previously in an I Add-ore you column, I divide the adds into one of three categories, "Stream Weaver," "In for the long haul," and "Hail Mary."
- Blake Bortles (Jax) v. Buffalo. I don't think anyone sees Jacksonville as being able to run against the stout Buffalo front. Bortles will be putting it in the air again this week.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick (NYJ) @ NE. Chasing points. Fitz has been better than we thought.
- Teddy Bridgewater (Min) @ Det. Detroit gave up 30+ points to Chicago last week. Detroit's secondary can't stop anyone.
- Antonio Andrews/Bishop Sankey (Ten) v. Atl. A good matchup until Atlanta gets a good lead, then it could be McCluster time.
- Darren McFadden (Dal) @ NYG. RBs tend to do well against the Giants defense. New QB for Dallas = more dump offs.
- Michael Floyd (Ari) v. Bal. Terrible secondary on MNF. Palmer is looking at Floyd more and more.
- Ted Ginn (Car) v. Phi. Someone is going to beat Byron Maxwell for a TD. It might as well be Ginn.
- Jamison Crowder (Was) v. TB. Tampa Bay doesn't do much right on defense, including defending wide receivers. Watch to see if DJax plays.
- Vernon Davis (SF) v. Sea. I hate Thursday night games for the passing offense, but Seattle hates tight ends.
- Jacob Tamme (Atl) @ Tenn. Good matchup. Could see some play action looks if Freeman and Coleman man handle the defense like they should.
- Dwayne Allen/Coby Fleener (Ind) v. NO. Pick the one you think has the big game. One will.
- Kyle Rudolph (Min) @ Det. Rudolph seems to like playing Detroit. Although all offensive players should this season.
In for the long haul
- Tony Romo (Dal). He's still out a few more weeks, and, given the bye weeks, it might be hard to stash. If you can, do it.
- Charles Sims (TB). Everyone's darling in Tampa Bay right now is Doug Martin, but Sims has been very productive also. Sims has had double digit fantasy points in each of the last three weeks. I wouldn't expect that to change. Sims is the passing downs back and TB will be chasing points.
- Darren McFadden (Dal). The Cowboys offensive line isn't what it was last season. Randle has shown flashes of brilliance, but those have been few and far between. Lance Dunbar was having a PPR dream season before tearing his ACL. That job now belongs to DMC. He had a great PPR game in his last outing, and that could continue. He'll also get a few carries.
- Antonio Andrews (Ten). He's a starting running back on an NFL team.
- Devante Adams (GB). Adams will struggle to score touchdowns because James Jones has the monopoly on those. Outside of the red zone, Adams will be the #2 WR, and that's not too shabby.
- Kamar Aiken (Bal). Aiken and Flacco are starting to develop chemistry. Baltimore needs another option in the passing game. Aiken should be, at least, a good bye-week fill in
- Jordan Reed (Was). Injury concerns aside, he's elite.
- Crockett Gillmore (Bal). Flacco loves to throw to his tight ends, and Gillmore has the size to be great.
- Blake Bortles (QB - Jax). They either chase points or are competitive in games. That equals a lot of throws.
- Christine Michael (RB - Dal). Randle hasn't been a good real life back. Look for Michael to get a look.
- Buck Allen (RB - Bal). Forsett has been dinged up, and Allen has been a capable replacement. It could turn into more.
- Jeremy Langford (RB - Chi). Forte is in the last year of his contract, and it might be time for a change in Chicago.
- Ty Montgomery (WR - GB). Adams and Cobb have had a hard time staying healthy,
- Jamison Crowder (WR - Was). If he's as involved when DJax comes back, he'll get plenty of targets.
- Eric Ebron (TE - Det). He was a big part of the offense until he went down. He's coming back.
It's tough picking up guys during bye weeks. You have to grab necessity and not want, so good luck through these next few weeks.