Defenses are matchup dependent for me, even when it’s Buffalo or Seattle.
The NFL loves offense and, well, we do also.
This position takes some research every week. I will put down my top 20 defenses to start the season, but you need to be diligent with this position.
1. Buffalo Bills – Rex Ryan and a dominant DL.
2. Seattle Seahawks – Always good. Pete knows defense.
3. Houston Texans – Watt and Clowney Act 2.
4. Miami Dolphins – Suh is good, and Grimes isn’t bad either.
5. St Louis Rams – Best DT in the league, and it's not close.
6. New York Jets – Dominant DT and CB, no other team can say that.
7. Detroit Lions – Haloti is Ngata Suh, but he’ll help with that departure.
8. Arizona Cardinals – Lost Boles but still has a ton of talent on this side of the ball.
9. Carolina Panthers – Bounce back to an elite D.
10. Minnesota Vikings – This whole team is getting better.
11. Kansas City Chiefs – Eric Berry’s return will help in regards to talent and inspiration.
12. Cleveland Browns – Sneaky good D.
13. Cincinnati Bengals – Get after the passer.
14. New England Patriots – The offense being so good hurts this squad.
15. Philadelphia Eagles – They have to play a lot of snaps.
16. Baltimore Ravens – Could definitely surprise but lost a lot on the DL with Ngata.
17. Dallas Cowboys – Fools gold last year.
18. Green Bay Packers – All they have to do is not lose the game.
19. Denver Broncos – Ware and Miller could make me look dumb.
20. New York Giants – Only reason they’re this high is because Steve Spagnuolo is back.
This is a position that changes weekly, and a team not on the list could end up being a top-five option. Keep your eyes peeled for signs that a defense is better than expected